Friday, February 22, 2008

Saying good bye isn't easy

The snow could not stop what had already been set in motion earlier this week. Steve Roscoe passed away on Wednesday morning and today we had his funeral. I was at the Convalescent Home with Jean and Steve on Tuesday. The nurse had called to say that Steve was failing, and I went over to sit and pray with them.

Last night I went over to the house to meet with the family. Jean's daughter and her family had all come in for the funeral. We chatted for a while and shared stories about their dad and grandpa. Then we prayed together.

Today a small crowd gathered at the Church & Allen Funeral Home for the funeral. It was nice, as funerals go. Steve's daughter and two grand-daughters spoke and that helped personalize the service.

I hate funerals because they hurt so much. Maybe that is why I try to remind people of how fortunate we were to know the person who died. I have always said that Christian services should be the benediction, the last good word, on a life well lived. We get together to thank God for our dad or mom or wife or child , that person we are letting go of at the service. We can do that because our faith tells us that their future is already secure in God.

I try to make every service personal as my way to minister to the family. The prayers, the scriptures and the eulogy are all designed to reflect God's love and care for them. I think that happened today and even the snow couldn't stop it from happening.

Keep Jean and the family in your prayers tonight. She and Steve had been together over sixty years and married 59 1/2 years. She is really going to miss him even though she knows it is for the best and that he has gone home to be with the Lord.

Cal

No comments: