Thursday, February 7, 2008

It Is Thursday at First Baptist

On Thursdays I try to lay out the Sunday Bulletin and get it ready for printing. I pick out the hymns and Sandy makes sure all the announcements are in place. Then we print it. Of course that is how it works in theory. Usually something else comes up that pushes the actually printing of the bulletin back to Friday afternoon or Saturday morning.

Sometimes we are working on the newsletter all week and that takes priority. Sometimes we are working on a special project like the Annual Report or a Stewardship campaign poster or slide show. Sandy is scheduled to work 12 hours a week in the office but these special events sometime have her working extra hours. She doesn't mind. She can usually skip out early on another day or take a few less hours in the summer. Anyway, after we finish up the bulletin Bob Walker comes in and folds them for Sunday morning. This week we will definitely have it ready for him on Friday morning.

The other job I handle on Thursday mornings is my weekly e-mail epistle. In a perfect world I would sit down and write it on Monday or Tuesday. Usually the week gets away from me though. The experiences during the week seem to add up and by Thursday one or two of these idea percolate enough to give me something interesting to say. This week I talked about the turkey vultures (as some of my readers have suggested they were.) A few weeks ago it was a traffic stop on Tuesday night. So on Thursday morning I sit down and write.

Today was a good day. I completed both tasks. Tomorrow I will actually try to finish up the sermon for Sunday. This week I begin the "I am" series of sermons that seek to describe the many sides of Jesus. This week's message focuses on John 14 and is entitled, "I am the Way." If you want to know more you will have to join us on Sunday.

Cal

No comments: