Friday, August 29, 2008

God is with us

Tonight I stopped in to the calling hours for Bob Sullivan's mother, Marion. The whole family was there and a steady line of friends and family paid their respects. To say good bye to one's mother is never easy.

As I left there I thought about the fact this has been a difficult week for several people within our church family.

The tragic news of a toddler who found a handgun and accidentally shot himself came close to home as I learned tonight that the family has connections within our congregation. As a parent and a Pastor, my heart aches for the family and there are no words to express the depth of their loss.

Bob Duntz was back in the hospital after a minor heart attack and I sat at his bedside this evening. His health has steadily gotten worse over the last few years.

As I think about these situations, where words cannot express our sorrow and alleviate the pain, it occurs to me that our job, my job, your job is to simply remind people that God hears our prayers and that He sits vigil with us in our time of greatest needs. We know thats true because we have all had our moments, our losses, our pain and God has carried us through. So we can know that we can be sure that He will always come through.

Cal

No comments: