Saturday, August 23, 2008

Best Wishes to a good friend of the ABCCONN family

Carol Freehan began working in the ABCCONN office in 1971. Over the years she has trained and worked with four Executive Ministers, countless associates and area ministers, a number of administrative staff and has seen hundreds of pastors come and go. She has been the one constant in an ever changing world of ministry in the state of Connecticut. She has been the repository of information and history.

A member of the ABCCONN Historical Committee, Carol has lived it over the last thirty seven years. She is, simply put, a legend in American Baptist life. This designation comes not as a result of her longevity, but rather because of her heart. She is a member of Community Baptist Church in Manchester and she loves our ABC family. As she worked, she put her heart into what she did and made it a big part of her life. Never one to work 9 - 5, Carol often spent late hours and weekend days at the office so that everything would run smoothly for those she served. She was often the friendly voice on the other end of the telephone when we called Hartford with a question. If she didn't answer the phone, we soon got her on the line and found our answer.

On Wednesday night our ABCCONN family threw her a little retirement party. It was like a "Who's Who" in ABCCONN life as former staff members, past Presidents, old friends and Pastors dropped in to wish her well. I had to have my picture taken with Carol. When I was a seventeen year old boy considering the call to ministry, my Pastor, the Rev. Dr. John Brooks was on staff as an area minister. One day he brought me up to Hartford and I met Carol. He told me then that she was a special lady and that I should get to know her.

Rev. Brooks was right and I consider myself blessed to have worked and served with her the last twenty three years. May God bless Carol as she begins the next chapter of her life.

Cal

No comments: