Saturday, August 23, 2008

A night with new member candidates

On Thursday night we hosted a very special meeting of the Board of Deacons. We invited four individuals to join us as they expressed their desire to become members of the church family. Our format for these meetings is pretty informal. We take turns introducing ourselves and sharing a bit of our faith journey and how we came to First Baptist.

Everything began as it usually does as I shared a bit of my journey and then my call to ministry. We went around the room and before long even our prospective members joined in. The way God works in our lives always amazes me and you could see the hand of the Holy Spirit as each person spoke. I wish everyone of our members could have been present. It was truly an emotional time.

After the meeting we began making preliminary plans to welcome these four into membership. They are Luis Pabon and Ashley Stewart by baptism, Jim Smith by confession of faith and Pam Smith by reinstatement. Right now I am looking at the last week of September as a probable date for baptism and welcome into membership but I hope to firm up plans in the next week or so. I can't wait.

Cal

No comments: