Sunday, June 14, 2009

The making of a special day

On Saturday afternoon I had the privilege of marrying Rod Allen and Debra Atkins in a nice ceremony at their home in Ledyard. It marks the first of several weddings I have this summer involving members of the church family. This is one of the nicest parts of pastoral ministry.

I try really hard to personalize the services when I perform weddings. I want to make them memorable for the couple. I try to pick a scripture that reflects something about the couple's relationship and add some personal references in my short homily. In yesterday's service we added a sand ceremony. This symbolic act depicts how two lives come together bringing specific gifts to the relationship. Yet in the union of marriage the couple becomes a new creation that molds together the best of both of them.

Rod and Deb didn't have a best man or matron of honor standing up with them but Deb's daughter, Rebecca, held the rings and poured the first layer of sand into the wedding vessel. Rocky, the couple's cute little pug, was the best dog and he came to the ceremony dressed in his tuxedo.

In July I will be doing wedding services for Allison Walberg, Carl Soderberg, Wendy and Al Dart and Ashley West. None of them will be having someone as colorful as Rocky for the best man, but I can assure you that each will end up being very personal and unique.

Cal

No comments: