Thursday, June 18, 2009

Another comeback victory

Ever wonder how something so ugly and turn into something so beautiful? On Wednesday night my hitting and base running was pathetic. I was forced into action because our softball team was short on players and we had one guy on the way. Mike Staron was caught up in traffic on Route 2 and wasn't going to make the start of the game so I started in his place to give us the full compliment of ten players.

I had not picked up a bat all season and had only thrown the ball around a few times. I was perfectly content to coach third base and play team cheerleader. Yet I have to confess that being one hit away from 400 for my FBC career was gnawing at me a little bit. Shortly after the season began I consented to be a back up player in an emergency with the caveat that I might get that one hit sometime during the season.

Thankfully Mike arrived and replaced me. He gave us just the spark we needed to rally back from a 15 -5 deficit. We scored ten runs to tie the game in the sixth inning and three more in the top of the seventh to nail down the win.

Mike Young was the hitting star. He knocked in five runs. Chip Chaffee added three more hits and three RBI. Brian Goldin and Eric Larsen also added two hits a piece.

This was the second time in a couple of weeks where we were on the verge of being mercied only to come back and win. There is something special about this team. I think it is the fact that they don't let me play too much! :-) We have run our record to 11 -4 now which equals the win total of the last two seasons combined. The fun continues next week.

Cal

No comments: