Thursday, January 15, 2009

The baby boom continues

Yesterday I got to do one of those things that some people only dream about as part of their job. I got to visit two beautiful little babies and their mom. I stopped in to see Nikki Stroud and her twin sons, Daniel and Chase. The boys are eight weeks old now but since they were born six weeks prematurely they are really about two weeks old developmentally. They are the cutest little guys.

They were just waking up when I got there and Nikki threatened to put me to work. She fed Chase first and let Daniel sleep a little longer. She joked that they usually didn't like to take turns. After eating, Chase got to play with his little musical toys and I tried to entertain him while his brother ate lunch.

It's funny but we used to joke that we have had an unbroken line of babies being born in the congregation since the day Lori and I arrived in June of 1985. We came along while Lori was 8 1/2 months pregnant. Since then someone has always been expecting. The most amazing period was in 1993/1994 when we had seven babies born including Rachel Lord, Margaret McFalls, Colby Chaluto and Derek French. Who knows how long the streak will continue? It is a good thing. Today it continues with Kristen Deptulski who is expecting a little boy in May.

This is the best part of being a pastor. I have been blessed to see a whole generation of children come along. The first baby I visited in the hospital was Allison Walberg. She was born the end of February 1986. Today Don and Pam's little girl is a teacher and engaged to be married later this summer. It could make a person feel old. It makes me feel extremely blessed.

Cal

No comments: