Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The joy of special occasions

I have had a number of weddings this year. I think that is a good thing. It suggests that maybe the announcement that marriage is an outdated option in modern life, was a bit premature. People are still making a commitment to one another. People still believe it is important to have God's blessing on their relationship.

This past weekend I had two services. The first was at the Norwich Inn & Spa. A couple from the southern part of the state wanted to be married at the Norwich Inn & Spa and they received my name from the front desk. (I think that is cool!) It was a small ceremony that had to move inside because of the weather. At 2:35 Geoffrey Cypher and Sherry Hospidar were married. Sherry's four year old daughter showered us with rose petals during the service providing us with a light moment. After wards the couple and their guests went to lunch and I headed off to get ready for my second wedding.



Wayne Morse Jr. and Kimberly Perry were set to be married at 5:00 p.m. at a friend's house in Griswold. As opposed to the first wedding where I had only met the couple once before, I have known Wayne since he was a little boy. I watched him grow up in our Sunday School and advised him in youth group meetings.

Wayne's parents were so proud of him. He has grown into a fine young man. He chose a delightful young lady to be his bride. The sun came out about 4:00 p.m. and everything was a go on their end. The back yard was bright and alive with color. Mums lined a path to the little area where the couple would exchange their vows.

Whenever I stand up for a couple that includes someone I watched grow up, I thank God for long term ministry. I get to see people move through life and get to enjoy watching them graduate from school, get married, start families and get established at work.

I am already watching a third generation grow up as I move through my 24th year at FBC. I look at pictures of Lily Canada and I can't help but think of meeting her mother as a cute 9 year old in my first days here at church. It does make you feel old, but it is worth every minute.

Well here are a few pictures of Wayne and Kim's wedding. You'll see the whole group, the couple with Wayne's parents (Wayne & Cindy) and Wayne's grandparents (Harry & Dot Calkins.)

Cal






No comments: