Thursday, June 5, 2008

News from here and there

The June Newsletter went out in the mail today. You can get it on line by going to our web site at www.fbcnorwich.org. Newsletter day is always an early one for me as I put the finishing touches on it to get it ready for our mailing crew. I was at church by 5:20 a.m. and the newsletter was ready to go at 9:30 when Dot and Harry Calkins, Bob Walker and Carol Calkins arrived. We send out anywhere from 275 - 400 newsletters at any given time. We send more over the winter and during the holidays.

I had to leave them at 10:30 a.m. because I was invited to speak at the Pendleton Health & Rehabilitation Center in Mystic. The group down there uses my weekly newspaper columns for their devotional on Thursday mornings. I was humbled to be asked to talk with them and it was an honor to talk them.

I left there and went to visit Doris Regets at Academy Point. Doris couldn't make our celebration at church last week so I brought down her certificate marking her 71 years as a member of the church. We had a nice visit.

I got back home and had to finish up this week's epistle and then I was off for a meeting of the Missional Church team. Phil Postler and Judy Dupont joined Curt Brockway, Amanda Duntz, Cynthia Strouse and Sue Ferguson. I get all excited when we talk about being the church instead of just going to church. The difference is that in being the church we are active and reflecting Christ's love out in the world. When we go to church we keep it inside and although it makes us feel good, it is a dead end as far as spreading God's love. I have said it before but you will be hearing a lot more about what it means to be a missional church in the next fifteen months. So stay tuned.

When I got home I sent out my epistle and then sat down to watch the Basketball finals and make my blog entries. So there you have it!

Cal

No comments: