Thursday, May 22, 2008

We are the church

We talked about what a church would look like if it actually went out to engage the world at my last meeting of the day. Cynthia Strouse, Curt Brockway, Sue Ferguson, Amanda Duntz and I compared notes from a workshop put on by National Ministries of the ABCUSA earlier this Spring. The gist of the workshop was that we are all called to "be the Church" wherever we go and whatever we do. The leader suggested that the church of the 21st century will be one that gets outside the doors of the building and transforms the community.

I did a lot of that today. I started this morning at a meeting of the Otis Library Communications Committee and then participated in the ribbon cutting ceremony at the new office of Hospice of Southeastern Connecticut. This afternoon I led a meeting of the Board of Trustees of the Pierce Memorial Baptist Home. At our meeting tonight I suggested that each of us brings the church with us whenever we participate in something that blesses others, whether it is a conversation at the grocery store or a meeting of the PTO.

Our conversation will continue in the coming weeks. On Sunday we will pass out a survey to examine how well our church does in several areas. I hope you will take the time to fill it out when you get it.

Cal

No comments: