Sunday, May 11, 2008

A day of inspiration

On Saturday Curt Brockway, Oliver Bray, Mark Kane and I went up to Worcester to see Chuck Colson speak at the Annual New England Men's Conference called IRON Sharpens IRON. It was a great day with outstanding speakers and workshop leaders.

Chuck Colson is a gifted speaker and he encouraged us to learn what we believe. He said too many of us let the culture define who we are because we don't know the basics of our faith. He wrote a book called "The Faith" and I think we may take a look at it in a Bible Study or Adult Sunday School Class next fall.

The last speaker of the day was Don Davis, a former linebacker for the team and current chaplain for the New England Patriots. As he was speaking I thought of my good friend, Pastor Greg Hamby of Quaker Hill. Greg is a big Patriots fan and he would have loved his message. He told us we needed to stay focused, be aligned with God and know the play book by heart.

We broke up and attended different workshops. Oliver and I went to one that talked about recognizing our teens as young adults and getting them involved in the life of the church. In the afternoon I went to a workshop with Wally Armstrong, a professional golfer who played in over three hundred tournaments. He spoke about using golf as an avenue for witness and outreach. I thought it might be a good area for our sports ministries to expand.

It was a good day and I hope next year we can get an even bigger group to go. It was well worth the price of admission.

Cal

No comments: