Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Let the children come to me

I received a few photos from Stacia Green today. She and her fiance, Nick, moved to Florida last fall. In April they had baby daughter, Alana. As I looked at the photos they sent up, I was moved to think of all the children who have called our church home.

I'll never forget that day in April of 1985 when I was candidating for the Pastorate of this church. After the service we all went downstairs for lunch and an eventual vote on calling me to serve the church. As I looked around for a table I spotted one on the stage where a bunch of kids were sitting. When I tried to sit down with them a little red headed boy told me that I wasn't allowed because it was a kid's table. That little boy is now 29 years old and he's called this church home his whole life.

The truth is that I heard that boy's father spent many an afternoon at the church himself. His mother was often in the church kitchen or teaching Sunday School or involved in the Women's group. I think one of the greatest gifts our church has to offer is providing a place where children feel comfortable and safe as they learn about the love of God. We've been doing that for a long time and I hope it will continue to be a part of our legacy.

This Sunday we will have the opportunity to affirm our children with our annual Children's Day service. The service will be different and I won't be preaching. But this is our opportunity to reinforce the fact that God loves the children and so do we. I hope you will join us.

Cal

No comments: