Monday, March 31, 2008

A busy Monday

I was on the run today so Sandy Stone, our Administrative Assistant, put together a mailing for our young people. We are inviting all the kids from the basketball program to join us for a parents/coaches vs kids basketball game this coming Friday at 6:00 p.m. We are going to have fun and celebrate the end of the season. Come on out and watch if you are free.

We also are inviting the kids to play laser tag on Sunday afternoon down in Mystic. The kids can come and blow off some steam with their friends. We are hoping to get a group of 20 or more to go so we can have more fun.

While Sandy was doing that, I was visiting with Bruce Thorton and Rebecca Ruiz. After they left I got ready for a funeral service for a man named Robert E Murphy. He was the last survivor in his family and he wanted to be buried by a Baptist minister.

I left the church at 11:00 a.m. to go to a clergy meeting where we are discussing ministry in the 21st century. It's a great group and we are all energized by the discussions.

After the funeral I went stopped by the Otis Library for a committee meeting. I am on the Board of Trustees and this has been a good opportunity for me to do some community service. What better place than in an environment that promotes literacy. After all the first books printed were Bibles and the church was the one who encouraged everyone to read.

Tonight when I got home I received a call from Muriel Roderick. Her brother, Donald Schoepfer, died this evening. Donald was a retired pastor. He was inspired to go into the ministry by his father, Rev. Walter Schoepfer, who served our church from 1957 - 1967. He was battling cancer but his death came much too quickly. So say a prayer for his wife, Jessie, and his sister, Muriel.

Well it is getting late. Tomorrow is April 1st and Spring will soon be here. so enjoy the night and I'll check in again in the morning.

Cal

No comments: