Monday, October 18, 2010

25th anniversary celebration in North Carolina

On Thursday I flew down to Chapel Hill, North Carolina to help my friends Mike and Kim Slomianyj celebrate their 25th wedding anniversary. Shortly after I arrived in Norwich they asked me to marry them. On October 12, 1985, with mums all around the sanctuary, Kim walked down the aisle to meet Mike at the platform.

On Friday night we recreated a bit of that magic in front of twenty friends and family members as they renewed their vows. Mike welcomed and thanked everyone and then turned the floor over to me. With tears in her eyes Kim said "I do" all over again.

Kim planned the party but she had no idea that I was coming. Mike arranged everything and wanted to surprise her. Of course I warned him that it was awful risky doing something like this. Even though it is a romantic gesture, she might say "no" this time.

He didn't have to worry. She was totally surprised and happy to go through the service and affirm her love for a second time.

Participating in these kind of services always make me glad that I went into ministry.

Cal.

No comments: