Monday, February 1, 2010

Sunday morning drama

I have to confess that I was a little off during yesterday's worship service. I have always been sensitive to what's happening around me so when we began our service I knew something wasn't quite right. Before long I found out that we had a troubled soul worshipping with us.

This young man has been coming for a few months now. Worship service has been a blessing to him as he tries to get himself straightened out and back on his feet. I first met him at the monthly interfaith luncheon. He appreciated our outreach and the prayers we offered. He like the warm hospitality he felt. Then he showed up at church. He told me it soothed his soul.

This week he came in out of sorts and intoxicated. When we got up to welcome one another he became a little unruly. Fortunately our Diaconate and ushers were right on top of it. Mark Kane went to sit with him. He was highly agitated and eventually they talked him into going into the chapel to see the rest of the service. The police arrived to check things out and when they saw we had everything under control, they left without incident.

I had been alerted to what was happening and then watched the scene as it unfolded. I prayed for him and my heart ached that he had succumbed to the alcohol. Yet, I knew that he knew that he needed God. I'm proud of the way our guys handled everything. Our first job is to insure the safety of everyone present and Deacons and ushers took all the steps to insure that happened. We also wanted to minister to this man's soul. I think we did that too.

The truth is that my heart was aching during the service and it moved me off my game. I forgot to make a couple of announcements. I also forgot to invite people to bring their " gift" cards from last week and put them in the offering plates. Thankfully the women in our choir did a great job and our Praise team had a wonderful song to share.

Someone told me afterwards that they thought this young man really needed to hear my message this week and they hoped he heard some of it. That's good. That's the way God works. Yesterday was his day, whether he knew it or not.

I pray that God will speak to you today. Even though there isn't a specific worship service planned, God is always just a prayer away. God bless.

Cal

Next week we will try again.

No comments: