Sunday, February 14, 2010

Getting together for fun -d-raising

On Saturday night a few of us went to Colchester to support the fund raiser for Annastacia Ohlund. She is Steve's daughter and she's battling cancer. The fund raiser was a dinner and dancing put on by her friends. There was quite a crowd there. We had a dozen of us from church there. It was a good time.

I got a chance to talk to Mary Brockway's sister and brother-in-law, Carol and Bryan. They are very active in their parish church and I couldn't help talk shop. They are Roman Catholic and their organizational chart runs very different from ours.

Bryan was telling me that most building projects and major activities have to have approval from the Diocese. Beyond that, the local priest has a lot of pull over what happens. Yet their congregation does pretty well. They are growing and the pews are overflowing most Sundays.

Curt Brockway was telling me about a fund raising idea that he gleaned from talking with Brian. They are going to have a dinner with the Bishop. The dinner is free but they are going to ask for pledges. Only the most faithful givers will be invited. I told Curt that dinner with me wouldn't have quite the same appeal as it does with the Bishop.

It's always fun to get together with people from church. Last Sunday we had a good time watching the Super Bowl at Nancy Allen's house. This week it was at the fundraiser. I think I like it because we have this common bond in Christ. We come from different places and with different pasts but now we share this in common. I wish we could do it more often and i wish more people would come out.

Next month we are going to try another movie night and see what happens. If you are reading this I hope you will join us. Stay tuned for details.

Cal

No comments: