Thursday, July 3, 2008

More than a newsletter

This week we put out our July newsletter. We try to get the monthly newsletter in the mail, and on our web page, before the first Sunday of the month. Sometimes we don't make the deadline because too much is going on at church. Sounds funny doesn't it. Although the newsletter is only about 14 pages long, it takes quite a bit of concentrated effort. I'm not complaining though. It is one of my favorite things to do.

When I was growing up my Pastor had fun with the church newsletter. Most of us looked forward to receiving it. It was different than ours, but it was very similar in spirit. It mentioned names, gave reports on what had happened, it had jokes and humorous and inspirational pieces. Rev. Brooks saw it as a weekly letter from him to the members of the congregation.

Our newsletter is more like a magazine that speaks to our life as a congregation. It is personal but it also gives us things to think about, timely articles and lots of pictures. This month for example, we have a new cover design that features Emily McFalls serving at the Interfaith Luncheon. I think it actually looks more like a magazine than a church newsletter. I love our church and I want others to see what our ministry is all about. I think it comes through in the newsletter.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, check it out on-line at www.fbcnorwich.org

Cal

No comments: