Saturday, April 19, 2008

A big family

We hosted the memorial service for Bill Rossoll at church this afternoon. Bill and Bunny were married by Rev. Walter Schoepfer here in August of 1963. They raised their two daughters, Evelyn and Nancy, in our Sunday School and have been a part of our wider church family for a long time.

Having served as Pastor for twenty three years here at FBC, I have had the good fortune to be involved in significant moments in the lives of several families. Bill was raised in East Great Plains and his family was acquainted with the church. He and Bunny were married here. Bunny's family was also part of the mix here. Bunny's dad was Bob Buchowiecki. She and her sisters Evelyn, Jesse and brother George would all become part of the church family.

Actually, my first involvement with this family came before I even started at the church. I had just accepted the call when Doris Royce told me that there was a family looking to have a wedding here in August of 2005. The couple was Angel Chenette and David Bartlett. Angel was Bunny's niece. In September of 1985 we welcomed Angel and her mom, Evelyn Rogers and her step dad, Fran, into membership of the church. Evelyn had grown up here but transferred her membership at some point and was now interested in coming home again. It was a happy day.

Over the years I married both of Bill and Bunny's girls and all three of Evelyn's kids. That was the good part. I have also ministered to the family during the sad times. I buried George, Jesse and their dad, Bob and have visited various members in the hospital when illness struck.

I guess that is what ministry is all about. It is walking with families through life. I've been lucky. I've been able to see generations born and generations move on to be with the Lord. I've gotten to know some nice guys like Bill, and been blessed by them. Today's service was just another reminder of how we minister in God's name.

Cal

No comments: