Monday, March 23, 2009

A Sunday reunion

Sundays are always special at church. It is like a family reunion. After a busy week out in the world, we get together again to renew our acquaintances while our faith is informed. I know everyone doesn't know everyone. But I know my heart leaps when I see the people I have gotten close to over the years and I have heard several people say the same thing.

If you don't feel this way yet, then you need to find a way to get involved in one of our ministries so you can get to know some people. For example yesterday afternoon Amanda Duntz and I went over to St, Mark's for the volunteer appreciation luncheon. As I was there I thought about all the folks who have volunteered at least once to serve the hungry in this special ministry. Just spending a few hours setting the tables, pouring the punch, waiting tables and vacuuming and cleaning up with others brings you closer. You talk, you share a little bit of yourself and before you know it you have a new friend. The great part about these type of events is that you are also doing something meaningful.

Anyway back at church we celebrated the beginning of Spring with a service that highlighted the verse where Jesus talks about being "born again" or the need to experience a new birth. I went on to say that once we realize it isn't what we know but who we know, our life starts over.

Joshua Ziemski finished up his second week filling in for Adele at the organ, We brought him out and showed our appreciation for his service. Lori Lord accompanied the choir on the anthem and we finished the service just after 11:30 a.m.

We've been having coffee and punch after worship each week since the beginning of the year and it gave us one last chance to greet each other before parting. I can't wait til next week now.

Cal

No comments: