Monday, October 13, 2008

Our movie night

On Saturday night seven of us got together to watch Mitch Albom's movie, "The Five People You Meet in Heaven." It was a very thoughtful attempt to answer the "why" question for all the crazy things that happen to you in life. Eddie is celebrating his birthday and he is a bitter, disappointed 83 year old. As he looks back on his life he can't see anything good. All he sees is disappointments and sorrows. He loo0ks at himself as a failure. He can never understand how things turned out the way they did.

At the end of the movie I had tears in my eyes and I was called on it by Brittany Rothholz. What can I say? I am a softie. The one point that really hit me was the statement the narrator made at the beginning of the movie. She said "Strangers are only members of God's family that we haven't met yet. This fit right in with our second purpose in our study of Rick Warren's book, "The Purpose Driven Life." We were created to be part of God's family. The truth is that we are all connected and what we do, the love we share, always affects others. That is why God wants us to know that he loves us and created us to be members of his families, all of us.

This gives us great incentive to love our neighbors and pray for our our enemies. It is God's will. We never know how one person's life, one person's decision will affect ours.

Anyway, I highly recommend this movie. If you get a chance, rent it. Next month we are going to have another movie night. Stay tuned and I hope you will join us.

Cal

No comments: