Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A day in God's hands

There weren't enough hours in the day for all the things I could have done today but I did manage to maximize my time and get to several divine appointments.

I got to church at 8:00 a.m. and went to work on my weekly epistle. It usually takes me a couple of hours to work it out and then send it. The epistle began as an occasional email to members of the church with something to think about. It went out as a reminder that God is always at work, always with us during the six other days of the week when we are away from church. About six or seven years ago a friend of mine at the Norwich Bulletin picked it up and starting using it as a weekly column for the Spirit page. It's popularity has grown and over the years I have heard many testimonies on how it has touched people's lives. People who don't go to church read it. People who are active members of different parishes read it. My Jewish friends read it. I even had a Jehovah's witness call me and tell me she enjoyed it. Today I consider it a part of our ministry as we reach out to share the good news. Just because someone doesn't come to our church on Sunday doesn't mean that we can't minister to them.

The truth is that you do it in your own way every day. When you give your day to Christ, everything you do becomes an opportunity to serve him. I do it with my column. You do it when you share yourself at work or at school.

I finished up my column and sent it off and then headed to the US Navy Base. Shane Stroud was retiring from the Navy as a Chief Warrant Officer after 20 plus years. I met Nikki and his daughter, Kyla, and a few family friends. I was asked to do an invocation as part of the ceremony and I agreed. What I didn't realize was that the MC had me sitting up front for the ceremony. I went from trying to hide in the back to being up front and center. I didn't mind and it turned out to be a real nice ceremony.

Nikki and Shane came to Norwich a few years ago. He was in the Navy and assigned to the Sub-base where he would be working with Electric Boat to build a new submarine. She was expecting twins. They came to church and I got to know them. They came a few times but then Nikki was told she had to lay low. She ended up delivering her twin boys prematurely and I made a few trips to the hospital and we prayed through those difficult days. Nikki had her hands full when the boys finally got to come home. A few of our people went to visit and help out with the boys and the Strouds became part of our extended family.

So I was extremely proud to be a part of their day. Shane had served for over twenty years and they were closing this chapter in their lives and getting ready to head home to Oklahoma. For their time in Connecticut, we were their connection to church and our prayers made life in New England bearable.

We get lots of people who pass through. They visit us and come into the life of our church family for a time and then move on. I think God sends them to enrich us and bless us as much as we bless them. I think of the Keithleys, the Eisans, and so many others who came and went like the seasons in a year.

After leaving the Stroud's celebration I went to New London to meet a former member of our softball team. I hadn't seen him in years but he called and asked me to stop by. He was going through a difficult time and asked me to pray with him. That's what I do and I was happy to see him again and I know he is on the right path. He told me he wanted to invite Christ into his life. Can you imagine that? He asked me how to do it. He came to me because of our relationship and he wanted what I had. The truth is that people come to you and me when they see Christ in us. We are the ones who can help them find peace and hope and the love of God because of our relationship with them. I left there thanking God.

I got back to church and met a woman who I have known since I was a teenager. She wanted to talk about her funeral. She has terminal cancer and was making her final arrangements. We prayed and talked about her life and what we were going to do at her service. She had made her peace with God and was ready. That is what faith can do for you.

It was only 2:00 p.m. when she left and I had already had a full day. I went home for a bit to catch up on my e-mail and before heading out again for more meetings. I am tired tonight but I was blessed today. I can't wait to see what God has planned for tomorrow.

Cal

No comments: